The Alabama ABLE Savings Plan is a savings program that allows individuals with disabilities to maintain health, independence, and quality of life.
With tax-exempt savings accounts individuals can now save for disability-related expenses without impacting resource-based benefits.
In December 2014 Congress enacted The Stephen Beck, Jr., Achieving a Better Life Experience Act (ABLE Act) which permitted states to establish tax-advantaged savings programs for disabled individuals (under Section 529A of the Internal Revenue Code). The law was passed in Alabama in 2015 and the State Treasurer’s Office launched Alabama’s ABLE program in February 2017.
Board of Directors
- Young Boozer, State Treasurer, Chair, Montgomery, AL
- Daniel Hughes, Montgomery, AL
- Susan Tully, Guntersville, AL
- Jim Purcell, Montgomery, AL
- Jimmy Baker, Montgomery, AL
- Edward Reifenberg, Montgomery, AL
- Lt. Governor Will Ainsworth, Montgomery, AL
- Dee Woodham, Montevallo, AL
- Ken Tucker, Livingston, AL
- Jack Knight, Birmingham, AL
- Ron Stokes, Birmingham, AL